Ag Hauling can be one of the most consistent, lucrative types of trucking, with the right company…
Whether you’ve just started your trucking career, or you’re a seasoned veteran with years behind the wheel, you’re probably aware that you’ve got options.
Those include the company you work for, over-the-road vs. local routes, and the types of materials you haul.
Every job comes with its pros and cons, but what you haul matters.
And aggregate hauling can be one of the most rewarding types of trucking. So, if you’ve been looking for a new kind of trucking job, or you’re on the hunt for a better company, you’re in the right place. Keep reading to learn more about aggregate hauling (a.k.a. Ag hauling).
What is Aggregate Hauling?
Aggregate hauling means moving large amounts of sand, gravel, rock, dirt, and other raw materials to job sites and construction areas.
Naturally, site managers call us when they need materials, but that doesn’t mean hauling aggregates is a “one and done” job.
Construction sites consistently need thousands of pounds of aggregate materials to complete a single job, and there’s always demand for those materials.
That’s good news for drivers—with over 80 years of experience JFW is a particularly well known and trusted trucking company. So, there’s no shortage of work, and there’s more than enough to go around.
The Pros & Cons of Aggregate Hauling
As we mentioned, every job (trucking or otherwise) comes with its pros and cons. Aggregate hauling is no different, but you might find the pros outweigh the cons in most cases…
We’ll start with the pros of aggregate hauling. There are quite a few benefits that make ag hauling stand out, especially at JFW.
- Consistent Demand – In other types of trucking, demand can come and go, leaving you searching for more job opportunities. That’s almost never the case with aggregate hauling. Whether its a new apartment block, a residential neighborhood, office buildings, road work, or something else entirely, every construction project starts with aggregate materials. So, you won’t have to worry about fighting for more hours.
- Less Time Waiting, More Time Driving – If you’ve hauled cargo for any amount of time, you’ll know that long wait times are a serious hassle. Picking up from import centers, and even waiting to drop off your trailer often mean waiting to get back on the road. That’s not the case with ag hauling—pick up is simple, and drop off is quick and easy.
- Shorter Routes – Driving over-the-road means spending weeks away from your home and your family. That’s not the case with ag hauling—you’ll drive shorter routes, and with JFW, you’ll get to go home every night.
- Less City Driving/Traffic – Typically, ag hauling doesn’t involve as much busy city driving as other types of trucking.
- Excellent Pay Overall – If you think driving shorter routes and hauling aggregate materials means a smaller paycheck, think again—JFW offers outstanding pay and benefits to match your skillset, without the extra miles.
We can’t forget about the cons—most are up to personal preference, but overcoming a few cons here and there can make ag hauling a breeze…
- Dealing with Site Managers – At some trucking companies, you might find yourself dealing with impatient construction site managers. They might rush you, get angry if you don’t arrive on time, etc. At JFW, we don’t tend to have this issue, because we’ve worked closely with our clients for many years, but its something you need to be aware of as a driver.
- Shorter Routes – Like we said—it’s up to personal preference. If you enjoy driving over the road for days and weeks at a time, aggregate hauling may not be the job for you.
Get Back Behind the Wheel with JFW Trucking
Now that we’ve told you a bit about aggregate hauling, we figure it’s time we told you more about JFW.
We haul aggregate materials for some of the largest construction companies in Colorado, and with decades of local experience, we’ve crafted partnerships that’ll last a lifetime.
For us, it’s a win-win; we maintain great relationships with the companies that give us work, and as JFW grows, we’re able to invest our dividends back into our employees.
But we can’t continue growing without great drivers, and that’s where you come in.
Because we recognize the demand for your skillset, we offer some of the most comprehensive pay and benefits in the industry. As a driver with JFW, you’ll receive…
- Paid Time Off
- Local Owner Operator Jobs Only local routes
- Health benefits (healthcare, dental, vision, and savings plans)
- Retirement plans
- Paid holidays (New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day)
- Quarterly bonuses for driving safely
- Modern equipment (2017 or newer) and a skilled mechanic team
Competitive pay, excellent benefits, modern equipment, and a company that respects your time and effort—these are the values we stand for.
So, if you’re looking to get back behind the wheel with a locally-owned company you can depend on, click here to apply now! We look forward to welcoming you to our team.